Tavuk şiş (tah-VOOK’ SHEESH’) or Turkish chicken kebabs are one of the most popular cuisines originated from Turkey. The unique taste and aroma of chicken Adana kebab and Turkish beef kebab drag you in the streets of Turkey. The method of cooking these Turkish Shish Kebabs came from the grassland of central Asia. The dish got popular in Turkey when the descendants of Genghis Khan used to cook kebabs on their swords in an open flame. The shape of these kebabs is of actual uniqueness with the juicy and soft texture of Turkish kofta kebab.
The way of cooking kebabs on the flame got refined when it started grooving into the restaurants of Turkey. With some additional spices and a different way of making the kebabs, Turkish restaurants have now a range of kebabs as their must dish on the menu. When compared to the recipe of some modern kebabs, the Turkish shish kebab recipe is very simple. Though it depends on the quality of meat you are using and the flavor of spices whose combination gives a unique taste to the meat.
When we talk about the hospitable way of presenting chicken Turkish kebabs, they are served with the grilled lamb or beef so that the diners could eat the alternative if they want to. The Turkish chicken kebab recipe and Turkish beef kebab recipe vary slightly with respect to the spices you can add. Some follow plain mixture made from onion and garlic paste, yogurt, and some spices. Turkish kebabs are served with vegetables, bulgur, rice pilaf, or eggplant.
This section describes the ingredients you would require to make Turkish Chicken Kebabs. You can follow the same to make a Turkish beef kebab recipe.
- Boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- A medium-sized onion
- Some (3-4) garlic cloves
- Half cup plain yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoon milk (optional)
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable oil
- Black pepper
- Paprika powder
- Dried oregano leaves
Steps to Make Chicken Turkish Kebab
Follow the steps below to make chicken Turkish kebab the way they are:
- Gather all the ingredients given above.
- Take chicken breasts, clean them and dry them using the towel.
- Now cut the breasts into bite-sized cubes. The cubes will make it easy to chop.
- Chop the meat in a chopper to the form you like.
- Now cut onions into small pieces and chop them. Make pulp from both garlic cloves and onions to add to the mixture. Grate them into the finest form.
- Add the pulp into the mixture and knead it well.
- Add yogurt, some milk, tomato paste, and all the spices into the juice mixture
- Add the meat into the bowl and mix it well.
- Leave the mixture for 2 to 3 hours so that the taste unites with its actual aroma and spices.
- Now thread the meat into the long skewers. Make sure that you first grease the skewers with some oil. In this way, you could remove the meat from the skewers easily when cooked.
- You can add rounded cut tomatoes and onions on skewers as well.
- Prepare the charcoal fire on the grill in some open place. Once you see that the broiler is hot enough, put the skewers on the grill.
- Take some oil and brush it over the meat.
- Keep on changing the position of the skewer on the grill until it gets cooked from all sides.
- Enjoy the kebabs with vegetables and rice.
Adana kebab (ah-DAH’-nah keh-BOB’-uh) are the long lamp kebabs and it is considered one of the signature dishes of Turkey’s most famous city, Adana. Instead of chicken, this dish is made from ground beef or lamb meat. Turkish Adana kebab recipe is no different. The meat is kneaded very well with the ingredients and all spices. Then flat metal skewers are taken and the meat is flattened over it, not too thick nor too thin.
There is a trick to place the meat on the grill. It should stay in the bound form. The fire is also adjusted and the place of the skewer is also changed from time to time. In this way, the meat gets cooked from all sides. The kebabs can be served with some sautéed vegetables, onions, and bulgur. Some like to eat it with rice and some enhance the taste with Turkish bread.
Enjoy the ultimate taste of Turkish kebabs whenever you visit Turkey. You can try this easy recipe at your home too.